McMillans in South Africa

A journal of our long-awaited journey through the beautiful country of South Africa

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

In Memory of All Things Yummy


OH! I have been so caught up in the details of our trip home to South Africa that I didn’t even stop to think about the FOOD! OH, THE FOOD, THE GLORIOUS FOOD!!
I am practically salivating as I type this. While we managed to find Mrs. Balls Chutney, Marmite, Bovril and such here in the States – for a ridiculous price, I might add - there are certain things my tongue has not had the joy of experiencing in years and years and years.
So as I reminisce…and salivate, I will type away...
BRAAIS! Oh boy, this is a whole world of flavor and ecstasy in one little word. The Pap en Sous…Boerewors…roosterbrood…Windhoek light…wow. Enough said.
And then, having the sweet tooth (okay, so maybe sweet teeth more aptly describes my love for all things sweet), there's SMARTIES…JELLY TOTS…BLACK LIQUIRICE (the real ‘DZ’ stuff)…SUPER Cs (I’ve had a thing for these as long as I can recall)…WILSON’S MINT IMPERIALS (addicted to these simple little treasures for sure)…just the thought of real South African CADBURY’S has me twitterpated. In all honesty, American chocolate shouldn’t even be able to carry the name ‘chocolate’. That should be reserved for the stuff that actually tastes good and is milk based, versus wax based.
And then there’s Moir's CUSTARD. The kind that comes in that carton that’s ready to drink, um… serve. Sounds odd to be remembering this item, but when you had it practically every Sunday afternoon over canned peaches – you’re hooked. What can I say?
See, for all America has cracked up to be – THE FOOD, DRINKS AND SWEETIES JUST DON’T CUT IT!
Moving right along…SIMBA CHIPS in chutney and tomato flavors. Oooh so yummy!!
BILTONG should have a whole separate blog dedicated to its deliciousness (is that even a word?). Incredible. Whoops…drooling on the laptop is not a good thing.
I’m even looking forward to having PRONUTRO and WEETBIX! Oh, and then there’s OUMA’S RUSKS in our many cups of tea. I’m actually a little hesitant to drink Five Roses tea again after years of drinking this American version – I may have acquired a taste for this stuff and will have to reject the true S’Efrikan stuff! Yikes. And while we’ve found ROOIBOS here, it’s so expensive that believe you me…we’ll be STOCKING UP!
As a side note of extreme importance: I’m convinced my husband is part South African. He’s cooked more South African dishes than I have (okay, so he’s only cooked Bobotie once – but I’ve NEVER cooked anything. Well, no - I tried my hand at Koeksisters once but they were such a disaster that I'd rather suggest they were..say, Moroccon), he LOVES our teas, our liquor, our chocolate, our meats, our women (okay, just me) and everything else he’s been able to sink his teeth into that originally hailed from the kiff country of SA. So for real, bru, he’s an honorary S’Efrikan ou from here on out.
Back on track...then there’s the CERES juices! And APPLETIZER. Oh wow, am I ever in love with appletizer!
And that’s it!
I’m stuffed.
So while my brain has officially stopped working from this mental-binge-induced coma, I will slowly work my way back into reality, and patiently await indulging in all of these delicious things…with the beautiful excuse that I’m married to a foreigner and if he’s going to experience South Africa at its best…we're just going to have to consume copious amounts of all the yummy stuff listed above. Done deal.
(burp).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI-OH joybell! so umm while you're in S.A. pleeeze make sure to pick up some small tastey goodies for your youngest, such as milo bar, bar one, tomate simba chippies (make a small hole and squeeze out all the air for more space for more goodies), and lots more! sounds like alot to ask for but i'll give you some money if you'd like. well most of all have a blessed time, make the most of anytime, say hi to everyone, and experience everything!
P.S. take lots of pictures!!

4:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay here's my list:
~Peppermint Crisp
~Boerewors Simba Chips
~Guava Fruit Roll

and anything hand made from there that you can find/afford/fit in your luggage! Love ya!

I'll be keeping your plants company!

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home